Forum Forums spacedesk Discussions Spacedesk Service shows OFF – cannot connect

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KemikalElite
    Participant

The spacedesk status shows as OFF in the control tab and in the lower left corner of the console window.
    If I change the switch to ON it changes back to off on its own when I reopen the window.
    If I check “Automatically start at system boot time” the option immediately disables itself.
    The spacedesk icon is not showing in the system tray next to the clock.
    spacedesk is not detected on either of my two android devices.

I have already tried uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling with no improvement.

It was working fine before this week but the only changes to the computer are routine windows and nvidia updates.

I do not have Nvidia game capture or any other incompatible software or security products that are listed.

I have attached the diagnostic log zip.

Windows 10 22H2
    Server Version 1.0.49
    Android client version 0.91.1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @kemikalelite,

Thank you very much for sending the diagnostic logs.
    We are currently investigating it. We have tried in our Windows 10 v22H2 but so far we cannot reproduce the issue.
    Looks like the spacedeskService is hanging on your side. Can you quickly try to forced stop it via task manager, just open the task manager then find the spacedeskService.exe and right-click “End task”.
    Then run services.msc, find spacedeskService then try to manually start it.

Then let us know your result. Looking forward to your feedback.

KemikalElite
    Participant

Hello,

There is no spacedeskService listed in services.msc

Attachments:
    spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @kemikalelite,
    This means spacedesk Server (spacedeskService) was not installed properly or did you already uninstall it?

KemikalElite
    Participant

For some reason it must have not installed the service when I updated to 1049.

The usual process of uninstalling spacedesk, rebooting, and running the installer again doesn’t restore the service for some reason.

It could be an issue with my Windows installation but I don’t know what the cause is.

spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @kemikalelite,
    Can you try to reinstall the spacedesk v1049 then check if spacedeskService.exe is present in C:\Windows\System32 folder.
    Then, if spacdesk Driver Console is present, please send us again the updated diagnostic logs.

KemikalElite
    Participant

I reinstalled spacedesk.
    This time the service is present and running even after reboot.
    The console shows server ON (idle).
    However, when I attempt to connect from my tablet or phone the mobile screen shows “Connected – Display OFF”.
    When attempting to reconnect the app gets stuck at “Disconnecting from 192.168.1.100”
    The console doesn’t show any devices connected.
    There aren’t any monitors from spacedesk in Windows Settings or Device Manager.
    spacedeskservice.exe and other related files are present in System32.

I have attached the latest log from this attempt.

Attachments:
    KemikalElite
    Participant

I tried to add this to the last post but it looks like it didn’t apply.

I have spacedeskService allowed in Windows Firewall. I have also tried disabling Windows Firewall.
    When I try the HTML5 viewer from another desktop I see the error message “Could not connect. Connection timeout”
    I doubled checked the IP address, it is correct.
    I don’t have any extra security programs or settings on my router that would interfere.
    I don’t believe this is a network issue.

spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @kemikalelite,

Thanks for the feedback.

1. Can you easily stop-start the SpacedeskService in services.msc? just to check that it’s not hanging..

2. I’m not sure if this will help, but maybe you can try this anyway.. just switch your current network profile to Private via Windows Settings -> Network & Internet -> Properties (of current network connected), then select “Private” as Network profile.

3. Maybe also try to update the most recent Nvidia Graphics Adapter, they just released a new driver yesterday.
    https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

4. If by any chance, do have any frame rendering related app currently active while trying to connect the spacedesk?

KemikalElite
    Participant

After restarting the computer I was able to connect from my phone running Android 12 but not my tablet running Android 4.4.

Even on the phone I’m not able to connect again successfully again without rebooting.

While I try to restart the spacedesk service either through the GUI console or services.msc the service hangs when stopping after which the start/stop/restart options become grayed out.

services.msc shows Error 1053 The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I’ll try connecting with a clean boot state next. As a last resort I might reinstall Windows if I have to.

Latest log with the one successful connection and the service hanging attached.

Attachments:
    spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @kemikalelite,

Thank you very much for these logs.
    We are currently analyzing it.

Other things to try and check if spacedeskService still hangs:
    1. Please try USB tethering connection between your phone and primary machine, instruction on how to connect via USB tethering is available in spacedesk user manual (Performance Tuning -> Network Bandwidth -> USB Tethering chapter)
    https://forum.spacedesk.netuser-manual/

2. Is your primary machine currently connected to an Access Point?
    if it’s easily doable, try to connect your primary machine directly to your network router

For now, instead of reboot just try to “End task” the spacedeskService.exe in task manager when it hangs then just manually start it in services.msc.

We will get back to as soon as we have news regarding this issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.