Forum Forums spacedesk Discussions Is it possible to make spacedesk server listen to specific Interface only?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    testcb00
    Participant

Hi, I am new to this forum.

I just find this software which allow me to use my iPad as a monitor.
    However, I find that the server listen to all the Interface I have. It might be dangerous if someone hack into my Wi-Fi Network, then he can control my PC using the App directly.

Therefore, I would like to know if it is possible to restrict Spacedesk to use specific Interface.

Thank you.

spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @testcb00,
    which interface do you want to restrict?

testcb00
    Participant

As the user authorization function is still developed, I want to restrict the Interface to OpenVPN.

spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @testcb00,
    spacedesk does not use any third party interface like OpenVPN.
    Could you please further explain, how does spacedesk can access OpenVPN interface on your side?

testcb00
    Participant

Please see the below png files.
    The Unknown Interface 53: TAP-Windows Adapter V9 is the OpenVPN Interface.
    The Wireless 802.11 Interface: Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz is the Wi-Fi Interface.

I don’t know why spacedesk cannot recognize OpenVPN IP Address, but I can type the VPN Local Address and connect it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @testcb00,
    I see, so the viewer cannot automatically discover the IP address of your OpenVPN network but you were able to add it manually, right?

I think this is a Windows network adapter priority, currently the default network adapter on your primary machine is your WiFi network so the viewer can only auto-discover the IP address of the default network interface (which is your WiFi).

If you want to make your OpenVPN network as default, then you just have to set the automatic metric manually in the network properties.
    Just run ncpa.cpl, select the OpenVPN network interface, right-click -> Properties -> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) -> Properties -> Advanced, then uncheck the Automatic metric and set the value to 1 or 2.

testcb00
    Participant

No, it is ok for me to manually type IP Address.
    My question is to block spacedesk listen to other Adapter.
    As all the device in the network can find my PC and connect to spacedesk server, I am worried about this.
    That’s why I want to know if there is a way to bind the spacedesk server to a specific interface.

testcb00
    Participant

Currently my solution is to use my Bitdefender Firewall, only allow spacedeskService.exe using the OpenVPN Adapter IP (Port 28252) to pass data.

spacedesk Lea
    Keymaster

Hi @testcb00,
    Ahh now I see what you meant.
    Currently spacedesk cannot specify which network interface to use in case there are multiple network interface available in a primary machine, it will always use the default network interface.
    spacedesk team had a discussion about it before so I think this will be in our plans but will not be available anytime soon.

testcb00
    Participant

Noted, thank for your reply. It’s glad to see this function is in your consideration.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Is it possible to make spacedesk server listen to specific Interface only?’ is closed to new replies.