Forum Foren spacedesk Discussions Uninstalling Spacedesk / Updating to a newer version

Ansicht von 6 Beiträgen – 1 bis 5 (von insgesamt 5)
  • Autor
    lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

After going through several time-consuming iterations of spacedesk’s service (and driver console) uninstall/install on my Dell XPS Windows 11 laptop, bumping several times into a pesky install fail error (Please see spacedesk_driver_Win_10_64_v1057_BETA Install Fail and spacedesk_driver_Win_10_64_v1060_BETA Install Fail threads in this forum),

I have been able to successfully fix the problem of the orphan service and upgrade by following these steps:

1. Disconnected spacedesk on the app of each connected device
    2. Turned off the Spacedesk driver in the Spacedesk console
    3. Disconnected (physically) all devices being used with spacedesk for mirroring / screen extending
    4. Ran Windows Powerschell in admin mode and execute a sc stop spacedeskService
    5. Ran the msi installer of the installed version of spacedesk in my computer and selected remove option to uninstall the windows driver.
    5. Ran devmgmt.msc. Clicked on the View tab and select show hiden devices. Uninstalled all generic monitors (there were more than 3 times the amount of devices being used with spacedesk, which may be the cause of narrow bandwidth messages that sometimes pop up. I made sure that I was not uninstalling any monitors that are not being controlled by spacedesk as this could create a major issue. Then clicked on view and selected devices by connection to remove any leftovers of spacedesk.
    6. Ran Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Program Troubleshooter and, using the APPROPRIATE Product code for the version being uninstalled, finished up the cleanup
    7. Rebooted computer and installed the new version using the msi installer downloaded from spacedesk.net.

NOTES:
    A. I am not sure if trying to upgrade by clicking on the New version message that shows on the bottom of the Spacedesk Driver Console when an updated version comes out may have contributed to the problem as I could not determine if it properly uninstalls the old version.

B. I would suspect that not always would step 6 be needed, as under normal conditions when upgrading you would uninstall a running version and following steps 1-5 seems to remove the previous version without any leftovers. I just listed it because in my case I had a sticky Install fail. Running the troubleshooter eliminated the need to go into the registry, which is in itself dangerous and time-consuming. I order to be able to run the troubleshooter it is required to have know the appropriate Product Code, which sometimes is not available immediately in the documentation for the newest release.

Hope this helps.

• Dieses Thema wurde geändert vor 1 Jahr, 7 Monaten von lobodelcaribe.
    spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback.

Before the uninstall steps you provided, how many client devices are you using for spacedesk connection?
    Were all of them connected over the network? Or was there a client device connected over Android USB cable?
    Can you please tell us the leftovers of spacedesk in your device manager (except for the Generic MOnitors)?

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I had 2 direct USB clients (both Galaxy Tab SM-T290 tablets running on the latest Android 11 with current updates) and 1 network client (an older Nexus 7 tablet running on Android 5.1.1 that connects over a 2.4Gb network, still very decent response). I have 2 additional external monitor connected through the laptop’s Intel Iris graphics adapter.

I should have clarified my experience with device manager’s leftovers. I realize that is not an accurate description. On a previous uninstall that I had to force finish and after rebooting, the device manager showed an entry for the spacedesk virtual Bus. I just removed it then and have made an habit of checking any trace of spacedesk remains. In my last uninstall/upgrade, besides the monitors I did not encounter any other refrences to spacedesk.

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,

Thank you very much for the info.
    We will investigate and fix this issue very soon.

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,
    We just released a new spacedesk Driver v1064 on the web.
    It includes a potential bug fix for the uninstallation issue.

Just do the complete uninstallation of the previous version (using the old msi) first then install this new version.
    From there, please check the uninstallation-installation process using v1064 msi if it will work properly now on your side (without the work around steps above).

Looking forward to your feedback.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I ran the old msi V1062 to uninstall the driver. Installing V1064 msi failed. Then went through the workaround steps to totally clear V1062. Installed V1064 using the new msi. With all monitors (both hdmi AND spacedesk) up and running, I worked with system for about 1 hour. At that point I performed a regular uninstall – reinstall process for V1064 as per your instructions. IT WORKED! Did not have to even reboot the computer. So it seems the issue is fixed.

Congrats and thank you for your tenacity and attention to detail.

Ansicht von 6 Beiträgen – 1 bis 5 (von insgesamt 5)
  • Das Thema „Uninstalling Spacedesk / Updating to a newer version“ ist für neue Antworten geschlossen.