Forum Foren spacedesk Discussions spacedesk_driver_Win_10_64_v1057_BETA Install Fail

Ansicht von 16 Beiträgen – 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 15)
  • Autor
    lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

After using Spacedesk for over 8 months on my Dell Xps13 9310 Laptop, yesterday Feb 15, 23 after a Windows 11 update, the Spacedesk service console v1.057 Beta (latest) stopped working (service was turned off and the sliding bar was not responding). I decided to uninstall and reinstall the service. After several unsuccessful attempts I started checking the forum and followed all the suggested steps:
    – Uninstalled all device management entries related to display devices other than the machine’s Intel Iris device
    – Uninstalled all Device Manager’s references to Spacedesk
    – Performed the Microsoft Program_Install_and_Uninstall.meta check to make sure all instances of spacedesk were properly unisntalled.
    I am sure I followed avery sugestion posted so far on the forum. Still, after all of this, the installer crashes when reaching the Service installation of the package (please see attached file for snapshot).

I’ve done this several times rebooting after every removal/fix. I am not sure if there is any relation between the Windows 11 update and Spacedesk not working/not installing, but as far as I can recall, this version was running flawlessly until the update.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

Uploading smaller resized file

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,

Have you tried just the simple uninstallation via Windows Control Panel, then reboot?
    Or uninstall using the original old version of the msi installer?

What is the previous version spacedesk installed in your primary machine before you update to Windows 11 and to spacedesk v1057?

For further analysis, could you please send us the following files:
    – run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click „Save all information“ and send us the output file
    – spacedeskSetup.log file located in C:\Users\Public
    – setupapi.dev.log file located in C:\Windows\INF

Please save all requested files in one folder, then right-click -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file in your next reply.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

Hi Lea, thank you for your response.
    Yes, I tried simple uninstall through Control Panel.
    I also tried uninstalling using the msi installer. As a matter of fact, after running the remove option of V1.057, I tried each of the previous msi installation packages that I ever had installed and upgraded and that at the time were working on my laptop.
    The versions I had were: 0.993, 1.018, 1.035, 1.047, and the current one, 1.057. Surprisingly, none of them install properly any more (same error). Each time, I ran the remove option afterwards, rebooted and tried the next one.

Version 1.035 was the last version before the upgrade to Windows 11 and migrated without issues.

Always uninstalled previous version using msi before installing new one.

Attached the files you requested

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,

Thanks for sending the requested files.
    Based on the logs, there’s a failed uninstallation of spacedesk Service.
    The specified service has already been marked for deletion. This will require a PC reboot to complete the uninstallation.

Please try again the „Remove“ option in v1057 msi then reboot.
    Afterwards, try again the installation.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I have repied 3 times to your response and can’t see my messages. Is there anything wrong with this Bulletin Board?

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I’ve done what you said several times. This seem like an oprhan service. Please advice on how to thoroughly remove the service manually.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I tried just now one more time following the sequence you suggested. Still aborts installation with a Installation Failed message upon reaching the Spacedesk Service installation. Look forward to your thoughts.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

Update: The services manager shows an entry for spacedeskService that indicates a „Failed to read Description. Error Code 2“ message. I tried removing it Executing the sc delete SpacedeskService from an administrator command prompt but it does not remove this entry. FYI – Did this before and AFTER rebooting.

• Diese Antwort wurde geändert vor 1 Jahr, 7 Monaten von lobodelcaribe.
    • Diese Antwort wurde geändert vor 1 Jahr, 7 Monaten von lobodelcaribe.
    lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

There is no remove option. Only prompts for install. I went through the remove / reboot routine several times. It seems like the spacedesk service became orphan.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

There is no Remove not Repare option upon executing the MSI, so apparently in my machine it is not detecting an installation. I went through the Remove / Reboot / Install routine many times without success. From your observations, this seems to point to an orphan service and may require manual removal.

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I went to the routine of Removing / Rebooting / Installing several times, including just prior to generating the files that I sent you. There is no Remove nor Repair option after that when executing the MSI. From your observations, it seem like there is one or more orphan services and perhaps the manual removal will be the only way.

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,

Your first 3 post seems to be in need of approval. Not sure why.. but anyway I already approved it and now visible in the thread.

OK, first we have to remove this orphan service before running again the msi installer for clean installation.
    What was the result when you tried the „sc delete“ command?
    Did you try „sc stop spacedeskService“ first before the „sc delete spacedeskService“?

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

TO respond to your question, I tried issuing a stop spacedeskservice but the Here is an update. I finally decide to go the very painstaking way and remove every single entry reference for spacedesk in the windows registry. That finally allowed me t reinstall v1.057. After a couple of days, one of the tablets connected via USB stopped working (just black screen with a menu icon on the right). I noticed that there is a new version of the console, V1.060. I uninstalled V1.057 using it’s msi file and installed the new version. Still, a black screen on the tablet. Uninstalled V1.060 using its own Msi and tried installing again. Now we are back to square one. The installation failed. Again going through the regular end user process but to no avail. Please see all the steps I took with V1.057 and that is what I have now done with V1.060. The uninstall process seems to leave an orphan entry of spacedeskService.

I hope this may help you to try to pinpoint the issue. It is just not safe for the general user to poke around with the registry to get rid of an improperly uninstalled software

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @lobodelcaribe,
    Thank you very much for your detailed feedback.
    We will investigate this installer issue.
    Could you please send us again the following updated logs:
    – spacedeskSetup.log file located in C:\Users\Public
    – setupapi.dev.log file located in C:\Windows\INF

lobodelcaribe
    Teilnehmer

I will later today. Thank you

Ansicht von 16 Beiträgen – 1 bis 15 (von insgesamt 15)
  • Das Thema „spacedesk_driver_Win_10_64_v1057_BETA Install Fail“ ist für neue Antworten geschlossen.