Forum Foren spacedesk Discussions computer died as soon as I wrote on iPad

Ansicht von 11 Beiträgen – 1 bis 10 (von insgesamt 10)
  • Autor
    jing
    Teilnehmer

Hello!First,thank you very much for this amazing software !I have some problems when I use this softwahre to share the screen on two devices, looking forward to hearing from you soon!
    I’m a teacher,I use computer to show powerpoint when I teach online , and I want to use Ipad as the second service.In this way,I can use apple pencil to write things on powerpoint on ipad,which will be much easier by mouse on laptop.

But every time I wrote on ipad ,my computer frozed at once (the screen is still on,I can still move mouse,but any clicking doesnt work at all ), I tried to press windows+alt+delete,it doesnt work neither. everything is frozen on laptop…TThe only way I can recover my laptop is to long press on battery button to shut down my laptop,it happens everytime I wrote on laptop.

can you help me to solve this problem?I really like your software and it would help online teaching alot if can be solved!
    My email:yangjingstudy@163.com

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @jing,

For further analysis, could you please send us the following:
    – run dxdiag.exe on the primary machine, then select „Save All Information“ and send us the Dxdiag.txt file
    – spacedeskSetup.log file located in C:\Users\Public folder

Stern
    Teilnehmer

Hi, many thanks for letting me try out this great piece of software! However, I experienced the same problem as OP after some hours playing with it and exploring the possibilities it opens up.

Let me take it from the beginning. Installed it today and it worked fine as a third monitor in my setup (see below). It was even possible to use the iPad Pro’s Smart keyboard as alternate keyboard – save a few keys like ”backspace” that didn’t work -, and the Pc’s mouse inputs were recorded great with only minimal lag.

Display settings like position and resolution could be adjusted very easily through Windows 10 display settings, to native resolution for iPad Pro 11” (i.e *very* high) and enlarging the fonts etc to 150% or so gave a great experience – perfectly clear. So far so good.

Then I realized that I could use my iPad as a remote terminal to my Windows laptop in my office, bringing the iPad along to another room sitting in the sofa. Worked just great, as long as you don’t lose track of the mouse pointer to the other monitors in the other room but that’s managable.

The idea came up to try also the Apple pencil 2, so I fired up OneNote and gave it a try. Was actually surprised that it worked quite good, ok there is a lag that makes lines less smooth and so on but it worked well enough to be very useful in, say, the remote teaching applications via Zoom etc that OP was talking about. Problem is that I got freezing and server disconnect after a couple of minutes, and when checking out the laptop in the other room it turned out that it had restarted.

Tried it twice same thing. Checked the system log and there was quite a few informational, warnings and critical messages related to this that I perhaps can relay to you but they are in Swedish.

The system config looks like this:
    – Laptop is Asus TUF A15, Windows 10 v 21H1, with Nvidia’s display driver 472.12 (or 30.9.14.7212 as reported in device manager) for the graphics card. There is also integrated graphics in the Ryzen 5 4600H Cpu but there was no mention of that in system requirements, anyway it is driver version 27.20.11032.9001

– iPad Pro (11”, 2018) iPadOS ver 14.8, Apple pencil gen 2.

So in short, I find your software highly promising but felt uncomfortable continue running the server on the host machine so I disabled it for now, maybe decide to uninstall it and wait for updates.

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @stern,
    Thanks for your input.

It seems that your primary machine is crashing.
    Is it only happening when you send an input using Apple Pencil 2 via spacedesk iOS viewer app?

For further analysis, could you please send us the following:
    – run dxdiag.exe on your primary machine, click „Save All Information“, save the output file (dxdiag.txt)
    – most recent dump file (*.dmp) of your BSOD with spacedesk which is located in C:\Windows\minidump folder

Please save the files in one folder then right-click it -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder, then attach the *.zip file on your next reply.

Stern
    Teilnehmer

Hi Lea, sure but please remove the attachment (or this post) as soon as you have retrieved it for potential integrity issues.

There were only two dump files in the minidump folder, they contain info about three BSOD’s last evening so it turned out I actually tried it three times – the laptop automatically rebooted very quickly each time and I thought it was just the screen saver that kicked in the first time 🙂

There have been no BSOD’s at all in other applications so I doubt it could be a hardware problem.

Stern
    Teilnehmer

Ok, the file was too big so I only submit the last minidump now (the other minidump contained two identical instances of BSOD so no loss of information for you I believe).

Stern
    Teilnehmer

Sorry I forgot to answer your question: yes, I believe all the crashes were related to the use of the pen input method on the iPad with Apple Pencil 2.

I also submit the spacedeskSetup file found in the \User\Shared directory, looks like there were some problems there but I don’t know how it should look like. I halted the install process first time because I decided to set a system restore point in the last second, then ran it again so maybe that’s why it looks a bit odd in the beginning?

Stern
    Teilnehmer

Ok here it comes again, zipped… feel free to tidy up in my posts I don’t want to spam this forum 🙂

spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @stern,
    Thanks for sending the requested files.
    We already deleted it here as per your request.

Also thanks for reporting this issue, we were able to reproduce it.
    We will get back to you as soon as we have a fix for this issue.

Stern
    Teilnehmer

Thanks Lea, you provide a stellar support here and I appreciate the responsiveness greatly!

Before I uninstalled Spacedesk (temporary I presume!) I hooked it up once again yesterday with no issues. Used it for a few hours, avoiding the Apple pencil 2 input method and just used is as a third monitor which is fine by itself.

I thought it could be nice for you to have a dxdiag full information file with this „virtual display“ connected, see attached file. You don’t need to delete this as it contains no potentially sensitive information as far as I understand, could be good for reference to others to see if they experience similar issues.

___

It is a remarkable feat I must say, to be able to hook up an iPad Pro as client to a W10 machine using pen input on the iPad – over wifi involving a router no less! Of course a few ms of latency is expected but not very problematic, I was more surprised that it worked at all (until the host machine crashed).

Best of luck with this great software!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    spacedesk Lea
    Administrator

Hi @stern,
    Fix for the BSOD upon pen input (in iPad) is now available in the most recent spacedesk Driver v1.0.22, please try it.
    Looking forward to your feedback.

Ansicht von 11 Beiträgen – 1 bis 10 (von insgesamt 10)
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.